12.5.10

‘When emotionally unstable enter no shops’


Someone said to that effect once. A shopping-friendly person. And I, I remembered it just today after an evening of doing just that.

The background to it was built up with mayhem at work. Now there’s something about me that just detests feeling low. About anything.

I needed retail therapy, desperately at that. So with the aim to lighten my poor, overburdened heart I stepped out to Select City Mall (the only mall I heart in the city). And havoc I wrought!

Waiting for my friend to arrive, I happened upon prettiness at that French brand called Promod which I initially thought was so Indian. I was first introduced to it when I picked up a dress from Sarojini. The tag read Promod.

I was left wondering how on earth such an Indian brand could have come up with such a chic thing till I realized it was French all the way. Ooh la la!

I staved off the decision to use my credit card at Promod. Somehow I did.

My next stop was Mango. Here I made some four trips to the changing room. By which time I had tried a ruffled, chiffon dress in a bright orange colour with floral prints, another beige dress prettified with tiny blossoms and yadda yadda. Till I fell in love with a floral printed beige top with a drawstring at the waist, an olive coloured short skirt and a third, short and tight pencil skirt in navy blue. These three I promptly fell in love with and owned thereafter.

Friend P was amused by the maniacal glint in my eyes. She miraculously enough was not moved to buy anything. She is a glutton for all things that relate to shoes and dresses.

Next we moved on to Promod (yes, I retraced my steps) where a beautiful lacy dress in a tan colour beckoned to me. Wearing it was such sheer poetry, the way it flirted with my knees and hugged my silhouette, I could not say no.

Our last stop for the evening was Aldo. A pair of gladiator heels there did the trick. I am wearing them right now and they feel like heaven on four inch heels.

I was so excited, I could not stop chirping. I guess P must have been tired of my constant chattering and scanning shut shop windows. Was I on an overdrive! She led the way to Big Chill where we sat down and pecked on a lovely smoked chicken salad. Luscious strips of smoked chicken that were laid on thick with slices of parmesan cheese and iceberg. A bit of a sour/sweet sauce drizzled on top perfected it.

We sat and discussed life, and love, and us. It was so relaxing. I have met P after the longest time. A few years back, when she was not hitched and living in a paying girls’ accommodation, I would be crashing over at hers all the time after an evening of movies and gallons of food. And we would talk into the wee hours of the night and arrive at work very late in the due course of things.

Things change. We do have our together times even though it is few. But it makes it all the more special. Right P?

4 comments:

Scribbler :) said...

Reading this felt as good as retail therapy :) Been so long since my last shopping madness. You inspired me today....am ready to get poorer this weekend :)

Y? said...

wow i was introduced to Promod through Sarojini Nagar too. And a lot of times when I pick up stuff from SN people ask me if its from French connection or blah blah. :)

AB said...

Scribbler: And you know what, I am not being consumed by racks of guilt as I usually am when I am extravagant. I quite maxxed it that day but the feeling it gave me was so precious:)

Y: Hail Sarojini!:D It is my fashion mecca;)

Anonymous said...

I know, it was almost like our sex in the city days...browsing through shops, ordering take-away and watching back to back movies at PVR Saket over tubs of popcorn and cola. The evening helped me sail through the rest of the week. We must do it more often :) P